LAMB #321 - Auditoire















URL: http://adrianmendizabal.blogspot.com/
Site Name: Auditoire
Categories: Contemplative Cinema, Reviews, Criticisms, Neoformalism, Film Theory
Rating: NC-17

What is the main focus of your site?
AUDITOIRE BEFORE (September 2008 - March 2009)

A blog dedicated to a serious exploration of the metaphysical and aesthetic realm of Cinema via the elucidation of the visual semiotic relationships present on the films, primarily focusing on the role of film spectator to the absolute visual value of a film. ---- In essence, I TREASURE CONTEMPLATIVE NON-HOLLYWOOD FILMS, a cinema which rejects conventional narration via minimalistic usage of shots and mise-en-scene in order to create a strong connection with the audience.

AUDITOIRE NOW (April 2009 - present)

A blog made in an attempt to capture the beauty of films by engaging on tedious "systematic research consist of posing questions [about it], reflecting on the historical factors that lead to the questions' becoming salient, broaching alternative answers, and weighing them in the light of the evidence." I am also dedicated to presenting "arguments that seek to demonstrate that some answer are than others." This quotations, from film theorist David Brodwell, are primarily concerned about Poetics, specifically Neoformalist Poetics, which is, "while concentrating in historical context, narrative form, and cinematic style, does not exclude thematic interpretations. It absorbs them into a dynamic system --- here, one that reveals why discrete meanings can be the bait at which critics will snap, and how a clever filmmaker has set a trap for them."

Though this approach may call for general films (of different genre) i will still focus entirely on CONTEMPLATIVE CINEMA.

What are your blogging goals, personally and/or professionally? In other words, what, if anything, are you trying to get out your blog?
What i am trying to get out of my my blog is my intense admiration on not just the contemporary contemplative cinema, but film as a whole. Though my central focus right now is the incorporation of the NEOFORMALIST POETICS approach to my criticisms, i am also open to the interpretative approach but less. My blog is in a way a record of my journey through my deeper understanding of films.

Do you prefer an interactive community for your blog or are you the teacher and your readers are the students?
I do prefer an interactive community for my blog, but it seems that I elicit a teacher-to-student kind of readership which, I think, is boring. A friend of mine says that my blog is "so profound and deep" (I don't know what she meant by that.) it cannot be grasp by simple-minded readers like her.

How long have you been movie blogging for, and how frequent do you post updates to your site?
I started movie blogging at around September 2008. initially, I started with a personal blog but then I changed to film blogging because my blog is dying. From September last year, I update my blog on a weekly basis, sometimes I update daily depending on my mood.

Name up to three of your favorite movies (and no more).
Yi Yi: A One and A Two (Edward Yang, 2000) - I cried on this one, such a beautiful, beautiful movie. I often describe it to my friends as "Life rolled into one!"
A Taste of Cherry (Abbas Kiarostami, 1997) - I often quote a line from this film: "I don't know this road." "I know it, it's longer but a better more beautiful way!"
Eternity and a Day (Theo Angelopoulus, 1998) - A penetrating film of feeling, a rare treat for contemplative cinephiles.

How did you hear about the LAMB?
I got the link from FINAL GIRL.

Any additional comments, or give yourself an interview question that's not listed above.
Why did you enrolled in an engineering course than pursuing a career in film studies?

I always wanted to believe that one can appreciate films even if one does not have a degree in film studies. I enrolled in Engineering out of my passion for science and the environment.