LAMB #378 - Bearded Weirdo Reviews























URL: http://www.beardedweirdoreviews.blogspot.com/
Site Name: Bearded Weirdo Reviews
Categories: Reviews, Editorials, Horror, General
Rating: NC-17

What is the main focus of your site?
Bearded Weirdo Reviews is first and foremost a review site. Soon, though, I plan to begin branching out into articles and interviews. The main focus is on cult, horror, and bizarre cinema. Exploitation movies. B-movies. Z-movies. Big budget flops and low budget schlockers. Sleaze, cheese, and trash. Oddities and obscurities. Softcore and hardcore erotica. Forgotten kids' flicks. Art and experimental films. Foreign films. Splatter films. Independent and underground. The kind of movies most people would describe as "so bad, it's good," as well as the kind of movies most people would describe as "just bad... period." The keyword for me is "cult." Of course, everyone, it seems, has their own definition for the term "cult film." It's a broad category, and that's really what I like about it.

With Bearded Weirdo, I hope to provide the kind of reviews that I would want to read, the kind I generally can't ever seem to find anywhere else. And I hope to give these kinds of films, which usually don't get much attention, the same amount of in-depth analysis and serious care that other, "more worthy," films get.

What are your blogging goals, personally and/or professionally? In other words, what, if anything, are you trying to get out your blog?
My main reason for starting Bearded Weirdo was simply to provide myself with a forum to present "movie reviews, my way." I've written for a few movie websites in the past, and my own opinions regarding how film reviewing should be done often clashed with the editors of those sites. I have no problems writing reviews according to someone else's specifications (word count, rating system, etc.), but the lack of personal freedom bothered me. Now, with Bearded Weirdo, I can review whatever I want, whenever I want, however I want, and I enjoy that.

With each review, I try to provide write-ups that are in-depth, irreverent, entertaining, enthusiastic, casual, and conversational, and which also provide both historical and autobiographical context. When I say historical context, I mean that, for the majority of my reviews, I strive to be informative and provide some backstory for the movies I'm discussing, as well as some "where are they now?" info regarding the cast and/or crew. And when I say autobiographical context, I mean that, again for the majority of my reviews, I try to put some of myself into the words I write. Not just style or personality (though I try to provide those as well), but also a reminder of how much art and entertainment touches us and effects our lives, and how much it can mean to us, by explaining my own personal ideas and experiences pertaining to the movie in question.

In my personal life, I'm currently a college student, majoring in journalism. I hope to someday become a professional, paid entertainment journalist and film critic. I do not, however, look at Bearded Weirdo as a vehicle for success in that field. Whether I become a journalist or end up working at Wendy's for the rest of my life, Bearded Weirdo (I hope) will always be with me, in some form or fashion. I write movie reviews because I love movies and I love writing. If it ever comes to pass that I actually obtain a paying job that entails me writing about movies for a living, I'll be thrilled. And when I get home from work, you know what I'll do to unwind? I'll write more movie reviews... for Bearded Weirdo. Because that's where I can be me, say what I want to say, and interact with like-minded people from all over the world.

Do you prefer an interactive community for your blog or are you the teacher and your readers are the students?
I prefer the idea of "community." I don't see myself as an educator (although I do try to be informative, in addition to expressing my opinions). Just a guy who loves movies. The interactivity of the blog format excites me. The only thing I like better than writing movie reviews is reading the responses other people have to them.

How long have you been movie blogging for, and how frequent do you post updates to your site?
I have been blogging (on Blogspot) since December of 2008. The first review I posted was of Peter Jackson's classic cult splatstick sickie Bad Taste.

Before starting Bearded Weirdo, I contributed film reviews to numerous websites, including Severed-Cinema.com, JoeHorror.com (now defunct), and Fright-Fan.com (now defunct). I've also written for a few magazines, including the recently launched Monster Mania magazine, I briefly contributed a "Scream Queen Of The Month" column to Horror360 (also defunct), and I also contributed reviews to the Phantamorte blog (again, defunct) shortly before it folded. In addition, prior to Bearded Weirdo, I, on occasion, posted tidbits of movie news, reviews, and miscellaneous thoughts on my MySpace blog.

My update schedule for Bearded Weirdo is undefined, though I try to get up at least one review every two weeks. I strive for one new review every single week, but that isn't always manageable. The reason for this is due mainly to my personal life, and the length of my reviews. During less chaotic periods in my life, I can post two or more reviews a week. But that's something of a rarity.

Name up to three of your favorite movies (and no more).
Troll 2. Army Of Darkness. Blood Diner.

How did you hear about the LAMB?
I've seen the Large Association of Movie Blogs logo appear on a number of my favorite movie review blogs (after all, I don't just love writing movie reviews, I love reading them too), and, finally, one day, I got curious enough to see what all this LAMB business is all about. Sure enough, I was admittedly intrigued and excited and knew that I wanted to be a part of it.

Any additional comments, or give yourself an interview question that's not listed above.
Just remember, kiddies, ...bad taste is just an acquired taste!