Trailer Talk Thursday: Old Man My A**


Hey everybody it's Travis from The Movie Encyclopedia. No you are not dreaming this really IS a new entry in Trailer Talk Thursday. Between seeing films, getting ready for my second year at college, preparing to go to PAX, family issues, the 1 year anniversary of my blog and lots of other things I haven't had time to do this segment. I apologize for the lack of content and you can count on a new TTT every Thursday.

But you didn't click on this or read this post to hear me ramble about my issues. Instead today I'm here to talk about the new trailer from Robert Schwentke's (director of Flightplan and the Time Traveler's Wife) new film Red.

Based on the comic book miniseries "Red" by Warren Ellis and Cully Hamner it follows Frank Moses (Bruce Willis) and his elite team of commandos (Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren and John Malkovich) as they deal with a group of assassins who are intent on eliminating them. They are all R.E.D operatives (Retired and Extremely Dangerous) and they will stop at nothing to take out these assassins and find out who put out the hit on them.

So without further ado here is the trailer:


So what do I think?

Well besides my initial reactions of "Old version of The Losers" and "How did they afford these actors?" I'm actually quite intrigued by this film. It looks like an over the top, tongue in cheek action film that features some great actors.

Malkovich, who always comes off as crazy in his films (or at least to me) really works in this film because he gets to up the crazy. He also comes off as the comic relief (or at least in the trailer) and I always enjoy a Malkovich comic relief. He's so over the top, it's awesome.

Willis actually looks badass and what I appreciate the most is that they don't seem to be trying to beef him up as an indestructible machine like they did in the last Die Hard film and Surrogates. Instead he seems his age but has that swagger and charisma about him that made him so good in the first place.

Mirren seems out of place but I think that's probably the point. On top of that I could listen to her read the phone book and would love every second of it.

Speaking of someone I could listen to read the phone book Morgan Freeman is in this movie. I love Freeman in any movie. He (or should I say his voice) makes any movie better and he's already shown he knows how to work an action film so I think he'll do well.

Otherwise the effects look nice, the humor is actually funny and I can't wait to see this film. Red is released October 15th and be sure to check it out.

So that'll do it for me this Thursday and be sure to tell me your thoughts on the trailer in the comments section.