Trailer Talk Thursday: Priest and Megamind

Hey everybody, Travis McCollum from The Movie Encyclopedia here with another edition of Trailer Talk Thursday where I bring you the latest trailers to hit the silver screen.

First up is a trailer for a movie I have been anxiously awaiting: "Priest." Priest is based on a Korean Manga that ran 16 volumes strong and then just stopped three years ago. The story revolved around a former Priest named Ivan Isaacs who was out to track down and kill the twelve fallen angels and destroy the corruptness in the church. He also turned into a zombie vampire hunter about halfway through.

The film adaptation has changed a lot from the book but, at least in my opinion, not enough to make it unrecognizable. You have to realize that they had 16 volumes of work which spanned over 2000 years and featured dozens and dozens of characters. Unless they wanted to do a bunch of sequels, they had to condense and change some things around to make it one self-contained story. Now it's just Issac and two other people in a post apocalyptic world hunting down vampires. Hey that sounds cool to me. Let's look at the trailer.

So what do I think? Well the style is actually quite good, love the atmosphere of the film. The vampires actually look like demonic creatures of Hell...which is a welcomed change compared to what we're used to. The weapons look awesome, the actors look and feel like they belong there (this was originally a Gerard Butler film...) and it's got Bill from True Blood in it (or Stephen Moyer I guess is a better way of putting it). I'm looking forward to it and hopefully other people find it interesting.

Next up is Megamind.

I feel like this film is getting a bad rap right off the bat. Whenever people see the poster all I hear is them groan and say how horrible it's going to be. And they've given the same three excuses over and over:
1. It's a Will Farrel Movie
2. It's a DREAMWORKS animated film and not Pixar
3. It's a superhero movie and those have been done to death.

Honestly I don't think people are being fair. Farrel is definitely overused and could use some time off but I think this will be good for Farrel since it's only his voice they're using and he has a very animated voice. As for the animation, well Dreamworks has made some good animated films (Shrek, Kung Fu Panda ect) and while it may lack the style, creativity or depth of a lot of Pixar movies, the studio isn't a failure. So it wants to market mainly towards a kid based audience. That's not a bad thing. And this is an original, or at least semi-original, take on a superhero film so I have no problem with it being a superhero movie.

Let's take a look at the preview:



So what do I think? Well I'm glad they're finally fleshing out the story a little showing it to be more than good guy vs bad guy and it now being bad guy helping good guy against other bad guy. Farrel actually has some funny parts, as well as Tina Fey, Brad Pitt, David Cross and Jonah Hill. I did get some laughs out of this. Is it movie of the year? No but it seems at least somewhat enjoyable. Hopefully it is as good as trailer and if not, oh well.

Please tell me what you think of the trailers below and I will see you all next time on Trailer Talk Thursday.