LAMB #370 - Disaster Movie World





URL: http://disastermovieworld.com/
Site Name: Disaster Movie World
Categories: Reviews, Some news
Rating: PG-13 (large-scale destruction for the whole family!)

What is the main focus of your site?
It's all about disaster movies: from the classics of the genre to made-for-TV garbage. Occasionally, I will blog genre-related news that I come across, though the main focus of the site is reviews.

What are your blogging goals, personally and/or professionally? In other words, what, if anything, are you trying to get out your blog?
First and foremost, I'm blogging because I enjoy it. I like movies and I like writing about them. Disaster movies are a particular guilty pleasure of mine (though I don't really feel any guilt about it), and I thought it might be a fun subject for a blog. In the long run, I hope it might become one of the more comprehensive resources on this subject.

Do you prefer an interactive community for your blog or are you the teacher and your readers are the students?
I'd love to see more comments and discussions. Maybe as the number of readers grow a bit...

How long have you been movie blogging for, and how frequent do you post updates to your site?
I started Disaster Movie World in March 2009. Updates have been somewhat erratic for the first few months, but I am now settling into a rhythm where I update about once a week. Since the scope is rather narrow, it will remain a low-frequency blog, though.

Name up to three of your favorite movies (and no more).
In the disaster genre: The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, The Day After Tomorrow.

How did you hear about the LAMB?
I came across it on BlogCatalog.

Any additional comments, or give yourself an interview question that's not listed above.
So, why disaster movies - aren't they just trash anyway?

You say trash like it's a bad thing. Yes, disaster movies are frequently over-the-top cheesefests with predictable plotting, cardboard characters, clunky dialogue and so-so acting. Some of them do shine in the visual effects department, but quite a few do not. Most serve up absolutely ridiculous character moments in the middle of raging disaster situations, where every sane person would be running for their life, not resolving emotional conflicts. No matter what their faults are, I still find these movies very entertaining. Maybe it's the primitive joy of seeing familiar landmarks or entire cities being violently destroyed; maybe it's some deeper fascination with the unstoppable natural forces of this wild planet; perhaps it's just the comfort of watching something that is entirely familiar and predictable. Call them guilty pleasures, or camp, or shameless exploitation - I love them. And so, I blog about them.