LAMB #372 - average film reviews















URL: http://www.averagefilmreviews.com/
Site Name: average film reviews
Categories: Reviews
Rating: PG (I can't remember if I swear but I certainly review films kids shouldn't watch... then again I also review kids films)

What is the main focus of your site?
The concept behind the site is to provide film reviews for the average person. I take it that the average person doesn't want to know the plot of the film and aren't interested in obscure film references or any kind of literary critique of a film. They just want to know if it's going to be enjoyable to watch and if it's going to be a entertaining way to spend their evening (or morning / afternoon of course).

What are your blogging goals, personally and/or professionally? In other words, what, if anything, are you trying to get out your blog?
I don't blog professionally though I suppose it would be nice if someone paid me for it! I have two main aims:

Personally it's a great way to communicate to people I know around the world. By giving them my opinion on movies I can relate to them without actually being in touch, I would hope that my friends do pay attention to the Facebook page! Click here to become a fan ;-)

As a wider goal I aim to inform people in an informal way and also appeal to people who have a similar opinion to me regarding alternative film reviews. I don't read film reviews before a film for a variety of reasons - some commercially published film reviewers spend a lot of time summarising the plot, some have very strong opinions which I don't agree with, some are written very formally... It just got to a point where I thought, you know what, I want to make up my own mind and reviews should give room for a person to do that.

To some degree I suppose that I see my film reviews as more informative. So, my goal isn't particularly that I want people to read my blog and be entertained, (reading strong opinions you disagree with can obviously be entertaining) I want people to read them make a choice as to whether to see the film or not.

Umm... that's probably enough for now... if you read my blog you'll see that I have a tendency to babble!

Do you prefer an interactive community for your blog or are you the teacher and your readers are the students?
Ultimately I would like people to comment on the blog but it's currently not really designed that way. So essentially we're in a teacher/student situation but I don't particularly try to tell readers that they will like a film, I just tell them about the film and if I liked it and they can decide themselves if they will like it.

How long have you been movie blogging for, and how frequent do you post updates to your site?
I have been movie blogging since January 2008. Unfortunately I don't post as much as I would like but I'd estimate about 2-3 times a month. The site is reviews only so I can only post when I see new films and have time to write about them. I post more on the associated twitter feed - http://www.twitter.com/microfilmreview.

Name up to three of your favorite movies (and no more).
The Royal Tenenbaums, Grave of the Fireflies, Starship Troopers

How did you hear about the LAMB?
From a twitter post by stopthepota. It looked like a good site so I thought I'd go for it!

Any additional comments, or give yourself an interview question that's not listed above.
I don't know if it was a little premature to send my blog in as I am planning a "brand refresh" as it were in January... but then I thought ah hell, well not! The words should speak for themselves right? ;-) Also, just so's you know, I'm blogging from Ireland so I may refer to particular Dublin cinemas and other media. Also I put a lot of links in my posts because well... I always look things up when I'm reading on the internet, so I thought I would help my readers out.